Product Safety Campaign - Whirlpool AKM 274/IX Gas Hobs
Last updated: April 2018
Whirlpool has launched a product safety campaign to rectify a small number of gas hob appliances sold in the UK.
This affects Whirlpool branded stainless steel, built-in gas hobs with the model number AKM 274/IX. The affected appliances were manufactured between 1st September 2014 and March 2016.
The issue concerns the operation of the gas burner in the front left corner of the appliance. To resolve the issue, a home visit by a Whirlpool service engineer is required. All consumers who own this appliance should check the information below and then contact Whirlpool’s customer care team on 0800 316 3885 to check if the model number (and serial number) of their appliance is involved in this product safety campaign. Consumers can select a convenient time for an engineer to visit their home free-of-charge.
Due to a technical issue in manufacturing, these appliances were produced with the wrong type of gas injector in the front left corner. The front left burner may emit levels of carbon monoxide above EU standards which, in very rare usage conditions, could present a low risk of adverse health effects through inhalation. There have been no reported incidents involving these products. Investigations have confirmed that the issue does not present a risk of fire or explosion.
What to do:
All consumers who own this appliance should contact Whirlpool’s customer care team on 0800 316 3885 to check if the model number (and serial number) of their appliance is involved in this Product Safety Campaign. Consumers can select a convenient time for an engineer to visit their home free-of-charge.
As a precautionary measure, consumers who own these products are advised not to use the burner in the front left corner until it has been modified by a Whirlpool engineer. All other burners are unaffected and may continue to be used as normal in the meantime.Whirlpool apologises for any inconvenience caused and is currently contacting all consumers directly who have registered ownership of these products to inform them of this Product Safety Campaign.
How to find my model number or identify if my model is affected:
1) Refer to the user manual or instruction handbook - which would have been included with the product at point of purchase.
2) If you have access to the rating plate, which is located under the hob, you can find model number is written towards the top - this example rating plate shows you where.
3) There are 4 key product features which identify this particular Gas Hob model:
- - 60cm wide
- - Stainless steel colour / finish
- - Cast iron pan supports
- - 4 ring burners (2 medium at rear, 1 small at front right, 1 large at front left)
- - 1 oval ignition button - front right
- - Embossed Whirlpool logo at front right hand corner
- - Controls on right hand side
|AKM 274/IX||1st September 2014|